February 5, 2014

Favorite Raspberry Pi Components

These are the components I buy when I want another Raspberry Pi.

I like the case, it has rubber feet on it. It is sturdy and rectangular so it stacks well. I have drilled 5/16" diameter holes above TP1 and TP2 so I can measure the 5V supply voltage. I also drilled additional holes on some of my Pis when I thought they might be getting hotter than they needed to. The material is very easy to drill.

I save a couple dollars by getting the 8GB SD card with the Pi.

The power supply is the only one I have found that shows the wire size (24AWG). I would prefer 22 or even 20 but 24 is better than 26 or 28 like so many cables. The power supply does not use a USB connector at the cube so it avoids voltage loss there. The micro USB connector seems to be of adequate quality. I believe most Pi power problems are due to low voltage at the Pi caused by small conductors and poor connectors. This power supply delivers 4.98VDC to TP1/TP2 with only the Ethernet cable connected. It delivers 4.95VDC with a Phidgets 8/8/8 Interface connected to the Pi USB port. I get my Phidgets from Trossen Robotics.

MCM Electronics frequently has free or $5 shipping. If you subscribe to their mailing list, you will be up to date on that. The power supply from Amazon is available with Prime shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment